submitted by Terry Long, VALL Liaison
· VLA’s Jobline is profitable
· Membership dues are over the projected amount this year; VLA has 934 members
· VLA issued a statement regarding the demonstrations in Charlottesville in August.
· VLA members need to be encouraged to vote; as of 14 September only 26% of membership has voted.
· The next annual meeting of the VLA Professional Associates Forum will be 21 May 2018 at the Newport News Marriott. Planning has already begun.
· VLA’s annual conference in Norfolk has 564 people registered.
o Dine arounds have had a great response (there is a VALL sponsored one)
o Prince Books (across the street from The Main) will sell copies of Hidden Figuresby Margot Shetterly at the conference to be autographed by her following her keynote address. Anyone who comes into their shop with their conference badge on will receive a discount on their purchase.
o Scholarship Committee is conducting a raffle to benefit their fund. Tickets can be purchased online.
· The Legislative Committee is working on questions to submit to the gubernatorial candidates. Their responses will be posted on VLA’s website.
Intellectual Freedom Committee wants to be proactive in the future – see a need to get out in the community and talk about freedom of speech, etc.
From Terry Long:
This conference is co-sponsored by VALL and yet, as of the 15th only 6 members were registered. VALL members please send in your registrations NOW http://www.vla.org/2017-vla-annual-conference-portal . If the Marriott is sold out, there are other hotels nearby. Come for the day, if you can’t get away for two. The VALL Business meeting is on Thursday and there is a VALL Dine Around that evening with Ron Wheeler. Come join the fun. Learn something new from non-law librarians. Let’s all work together on areas of common interest and make contacts with colleagues whom we can lean on to help us when we do not have the resource at our respective library and, we may be able to help when they are in need.