Submitted by Lara Dresser
Highlights of the VLA Council Meeting:
· Seeking submissions for the 2016 annual edition of the Virginia Libraries Journal—deadline August 1st: http://www.vla.org/call-for-submissions--virginia-libraries-2016
· The VLA is applying for a library license plate with the DMV. The VLA license plate committee is having a slogan contest (ends June 16). The VLA Executive Committee and license place committee will choose the slogan that will be used on the license plate.
· 2017 VLA Election of Officers begins in August. Each candidate spoke about their qualifications. Statements and biographies can be viewed here: http://www.vla.org/assets/2017%20vla%20candidates%20for%20executive%20committee%20office%20final.pdf
· VLA annual meeting will be held at the Homestead, October 26-28th. VLA is still seeking sponsorships and vendor exhibits: https://vla.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=formlogin&form=216953&return=L2luZGV4LnBocD9vcHRpb249Y29tX21jJnZpZXc9bWMmbWNpZD1mb3JtXzIxNjk1Mz9zZXJ2SWQ9NTUzMCZvcHRpb249Y29tX21jJnZpZXc9bWMmbWNpZD1mb3JtXzIxNjk1Mw==
· Discussion about the implications if Prince William County decides to privatize their public library systems, open list-servs for non-members to encourage participation, and ways to promote Constitution Day
· VLA Council Meeting moved up one week to September 9th