Submitted by Terry Long, VALL liaison to VLA
Highlights of the VLA Council Meeting:
- VLA annual meeting will be held at the Homestead, October 26-28th.
o More program proposals are needed.
o Lisa Varga, Executive Director, explored some conference ideas with the group.
- VLA Professional Associated Forum will be held May 2nd at the Doubletree in Williamsburg.
o Pay for four registrations, get the fifth free.
- VLA’s Legislative update http://www.vla.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=447:vla-2016-legislative-committee-update--increase-to-state-aid-and-more&catid=21:latest-news
o There was an increase in state aid to libraries.
- National Legislative Day for libraries is May 2-3, 2016. VLA gives financial support to those attending.
- VLA’s Professional Development Forum is having job fairs around the state.
- VLA’s Membership Directory is now available online.
- New Members Forum has kicked off it mentoring effort for 2016.
- 175 books have been nominated for the Jefferson Cup award.
- ALA is promoting its new marketing effort, Libraries Transform. Some of their products can be customized for your library.
- VLA’s 2017 meeting will be in Norfolk; and, in 2018 it will be in Colonial Williamsburg.